Tag Archives: ath5k

Wireless Woes Resolved

In an earlier post, I’d detailed how Tomato on the Asus WL-520gU brought the internet back to our home in a delightful way. However, there had been an ongoing wireless problem with my EEE PC running Eeebuntu linux 3.0.

I’d been puttering with those issues on and off for a while, having got to a state where things mostly worked, most of the time. My biggest complaint was that I’d have to try multiple times to connect to some access points, but others would work straight away. Unfortunately, the router at the in-laws was one of those, and the new Asus at home turned out to be even worse. All the other clients liked these routers just fine, so I knew the issue was with this PC.

Sooo, long story short, I figured out that there were multiple drivers competing from all my attempts, trying to take care of the same wireless connection. I ended up finally disabling all of them but for the ath5k driver (which connects great, but has a speed fluctuation issue) in /etc/modprobe.d and then forced the connection speed with an iwconfig setting. Now the PC has a great connection all the way to the full extent of our property and streaming hulu is without a glitch.

Another minor irritation apparently solved. 🙂